Sunday, October 9, 2011

Introduction to India

Day 1:
We left for the Greenville airport at 7:30 on Thursday morning.  And didn't arrive in India until 4:00 Saturday morning.  Oh, the joys of flying.  First we had a 6 hour layover in the Dulles airport and I thought I might actually die of boredom.  Then we got diverted from landing in Chennai because a plane had skidded off the runway and they couldn't get it cleared in time.  So we took a surprise trip to Bangalore to get fuel.  And finally, 4 hours behind schedule, we landed in Chennai.  We didn't get to Madras Christian College until around 6, so we had a snack and Caitlin and I took a much needed nap.  (Which is why there are no pictures of me up yet, Megan).

After napping all morning, we wandered around campus.  We saw the trash heap.  That was lovely.  We also walked by the cricket fields and "we were so hot, we got whistled at" (quote courtesy of Caitlin).  The first of many whistles, I'm sure.  Later in the afternoon we went to a John Lennon tribute concert put on by the MCC students.  It was pretty awesome except I was so tired I almost fell asleep a few times.  And then we went to bed at 8:30 and slept for 11 1/2 hours.  "It was glorious" (also courtesy of Caitlin).  Except the bed feels like you're sleeping on a ream of paper.

Day 2:
After breakfast we all headed out to the market.  It reminded me a lot of markets in Malaysia except everything seems so much less permanent.  We saw some cows.  Traffic was scary - but kind of what I expected....crossing the street was....fun.  The best part was going in the air conditioned department store.  I forgot how awful the heat and humidity would be.  And how much I love air conditioning.  We came back from the market and Caitlin and I collapsed under the fan in our room.  In the afternoon we met our MCC "buddies" and they took us around campus.  Then we had dinner at the Principal's (aka the President of the college) house.

So to sum up: In the last two days, there's been lots of sleeping, we've taken a lot of showers, and we haven't done any homework.  Which, to borrow from Caitlin, is glorious.  

No comments:

Post a Comment